Executive Policy 14 Reporting Requirements

Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect at WSU

State and private higher education employees, professional school employees, social service counselors, psychologists, placement and liaison specialists, licensed or certified childcare providers or their employees, and law enforcement are required to report child abuse and neglect. Additional individuals required to report are listed in RCW 26.44.030.

In addition, after contacting law enforcement or DCYF, authorized adults must make an internal report to their supervisor, the program administrator, dean, executive vice president, or vice president. Please refer to the section below for more information.

Making a Report

Employees and volunteers, at the first opportunity, must report known or suspected child abuse or neglect within 48 hours.

All volunteers participating in a WSU program under this policy, as well as non-University organizations and entities operating programs or activities on campus involving minors, who have reasonable cause to believe that a child has suffered abuse or neglect must immediately contact the Program Administrator.

If you are making a report as a mandated reporter pursuant to RCW 26.44.030, follow the steps below.

  1. If a minor is in immediate danger, or in an emergency, contact 9-1-1 or local law enforcement:
    1. WSU Pullman Police Department: (509) 335-8548
    2. WSU Vancouver Police Department: (360) 546-9001
    3. Volunteers must make an internal report to their program administration after contacting law enforcement in an emergency situation. Where conduct occurs on campus without law enforcement you should also contact campus security.
      1. WSU Spokane Campus Security: (509) 358-7995
      2. WSU Tri-Cities Campus Security: (509) 372-7234
  2. Contact your local Department of Children, Youth & Families (DCYF) office (also referred to as Child Protective Services or CPS). WSU campus employees and volunteers should contact according to their county below:
    1. Whitman and Spokane Counties: (800) 557-9671
    2. Benton County: (855) 420-5888
    3. Snohomish County: (866) 829-2153
    4. Clark County: (866) 764-2233
    5. Extension offices, 4-H and other locations can contact the statewide DCYF, Child Abuse hotline, 866-363-4276 toll-free, 24/7 866-END-HARM
  3. After contacting law enforcement or DCYF, authorized adults must make an internal report to their supervisor, the program administrator, dean, executive vice president, or vice president. You will be asked to provide the following information:
    1. Did you contact DCYF/law enforcement within 48 hours?
    2. Who made the report?
    3. How was the report made? By phone, fax, mail, or email?
    4. What information did you provide in your oral/written report to law enforcement/DCYF?

Reporting Discrimination, Harassment, or Bullying

EP 15 mandates WSU employees, with limited exceptions, to report sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, including sexual assault, nonconsensual sexual contact, stalking, domestic violence, and dating violence to Compliance and Civil Rights (CCR) or the Title IX Coordinator. Supervisors are required to report all other instances of discrimination and discriminatory harassment. All other employees are encouraged to report.

Compliance and Civil Rights Contact

Email: ccr@wsu.edu

Phone: (509) 335 8288
CCR online Form

Reporting Accidents Involving Minors

  1. Telephone (509) 335-6983 during business hours
  2. Call 9-1-1 after business hours
  3. For incidents outside of Whitman County, please contact (509) 332-2521

Reporting Potential Threats

  1. For imminent threat or emergencies, contact 9-1-1
  2. For non-emergency threats, report to the WSU Threat Assessment Team (TAT). See EP 42

Reporting Bullying or Hazing of Minors

In an emergency call 9-1-1

Authorized adults must report all instances of bullying or hazing to their Program Administrator. Program Administrators are responsible for ensuring proper reporting to RMS or appropriate departments/agencies. The following information will be requested:

  • Name of the minor
  • Name of minor’s parent/legal guardian
  • Nature and extent of alleged bullying and any injuries
  • Any other helpful information.

Authorized adults must report any incident in which the reporter has reasonable cause to believe hazing has occurred to the WSU Center for Community Standards, where hazing involves student perpetrators.

WSU Center for Community Standards Contact

Email: community.standards@wsu.edu

Phone: (509) 335-4532

Fax: (509) 335-4814

Additional Resources

DCYF: https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/safety/mandated-reporter

DCYF how to Report: https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/safety/report-abuse